Happy Monday everyone!
You know, after getting so wrapped up in my summer freedom, it almost hasn’t really sunken in yet that I am going back to college in less than a month. Where did the summer go? It’s amazing to me that nearly every summer the same cycle occurs – school ends and you revel in the freedom, only to be greeted by a rude awakening a short few months later that the school year is right around the corner. And on top of that, I’m going to be a JUNIOR. Really? I could have sworn I was just a freshman. Jeepers…college really does fly by.
But after having such an amazing summer, I am more than excited to experience yet another year at school with some of the most amazing people who over the past 2 years have taught me so much about myself and how to live life to its fullest. To my high school readers: just you wait…you’re going to make friendships that will truly last a lifetime when you enter college. Trust me. 😉
I’ve realized that I really only have about 3 weeks to pack my bags and buy all of my essentials for the upcoming semester. OH MY. But no fear my lovelies…below is a list of college essentials that I hope will help alleviate some college-packing stress and get yourself on track and ready for an amazing semester.
Keep in mind though that not ALL of these things are completely necessary, but they certainly would help to have in your college arsenal. For these items, I will put an asterisk next to them. For an example, the first one on the list is in this category…
- NetFlix/Hulu Plus/Amazon membership*
- Refrigerator (or a micro-fridge combo unit)
- Cell phone with good service/coverage where your college is.
- Digital camera to capture all your new friends and fun
- iPod/MP3 player/Stereo with a docking station
- Computer (preferably a laptop)
- Three prong extension cords
- Power strip/surge protector
- Any sports equipment (tennis racquets, footballs, etc)*
- Desk Lamp
- Alarm Clock
- Laundry bag or basket
- Laundry soap (Or these 3-in-1 sheets are AMAZING!)
- Stain Remover/stain stick
- Sewing kit (needles and thread, safety pins, two-sided tape, etc.)*
- Eating utensils (preferably plastic)*
- Cups and plates*
- Twin XL Bedding – Most dorm beds measure 39 x 80 – so you will need extra long twin sheets and mattress pads
- Anything to decorate your room and make you feel at home
- Iron and small ironing board*
- College clothes (Try to think about when you will be home to swap out late summer clothes for fall/winter clothes)
- Bike and a bike lock*
- Fan (Seriously…you REALLY will need this…especially if there is no AC…)
- Bath towels, soap, robe, etc.
- Personal hygiene items (toothpaste, deodorant, etc…)
- Flip flops for the shower
- Shower caddy
- Small can-opener and bottle opener*
- First Aid Kit
- Tylenol or other pain reliever
- Rain shoes/boots
- Pictures of friends and family
- Workout/sports clothes
- Dress clothes (For the boys, this means at least a blazer and one or more ties)
- Lounging clothes (For those lazy days or when you are cooped up in your room studying)
- Textbooks (P.S. You don’t have to buy them from your school, because they can get SO expensive. Try Amazon.com for great deals on used books)
I hope this list will help you get started in preparing for your college excursions! As always, have a lovely day!